Sunday, December 19, 2010

german pancakes

I'm embarrassed...I couldn't even contain myself and took a bite BEFORE I snapped the picture.  I'm ridiculous.  Oh, and you are suppose to eat this in a civilized manor...with a knife and fork and such...not like piece of pizza like I did.

When the weather would turn a little chilly, my mom would start making oven baked German pancakes at our house.  They always made the start to a Sunday a little more special.  Now, I associate these yummy dessert-like breakfasts with winter, with the holidays, and with my family.

I had never made them before, but was excited to try out my special German pancake pan (my baby sister gave it to me for a bridal shower gift!)  Trying new recipes intimidates me a little bit - I've suffered many a "fail" - so I tend to hesitate a tad more than is necessary.

Needless to say...my German pancakes rocked.  Well, the edges might have been a little tooooo brown...perhaps charred in places...but I just ate around that *smile* 



German Pancakes

1/2 c. sifted flour
3 slightly beaten eggs
1/2 c. milk
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/4 tsp. salt

Gradually add flour to eggs while beating.  Stir in milk, melted butter and salt.  Throughly grease a 9 or 10 inche oven proof skillet.  Pour batter into cold skillet; bake in a very hot oven (450 degrees) for about 20 minutes.  Loosen pancake from skilled with a wide spatula; cut into wedges with a sharp knife.  As it bakes, the pancake rises into golden bubbles.  Makes 3-4 servings.

Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, lemon wedges or syrup.

2 comments:

  1. German oven pancakes are the BEST. My mom used to make those too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3-4 servings. Hahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete